Since I don't get the time to update this blog much anymore, I thought I'd just drop in quickly to recommend a google groups mailing list that I have been contributing to for a while now. If you feel like some question/answer type discussions focused specifically on problem solving in maya this might be the place for you. There are a great bunch of knowledgeable people posting there already from time to time, but more will always be welcome. Just enter "maya he3d" in the google groups search.
I added the 2014-x64 (windows) version of Michael Comet's poseDeformer to the downloads page.
I recently discovered a potential problem when using the poseDeformer in maya 2013 and 2014. The problem occurs due to changes brought about by the introduction of the node editor in maya. I've modified the poseDeformer code to work around the problem, but for any one who is interested, I'll describe it in more detail below.
A few people have asked me if there is a way to use my uv layout script, djPFXUVs, on a paint FX mesh that is animating. The answer is "yes". Keep reading if you are interested in knowing how...
I've recompiled the poseDeformer and poseReader for maya 2013-x64 (windows). I've only tested it very briefly. Let me know if you discover problems.
If you are looking for other flavors, then keep checking back. Usually someone ends up sending me their compiles and if they do I'll add it to the download and leave a note here.
25 May 2013: 2013-x32 (windows) compile added, thanks to Scott Englert
Several years ago I wrote a mel script called djRivet.mel that makes it easy to constrain things to deforming surfaces using follicles. Matt Oldfield, one of the TD’s at Disney Interactive, suggested that I update it to include support for multiple uv sets. It was pretty cool to hear that someone other than me finds this script useful, and being able to specify different uv sets for the textures and the follicles makes perfect sense.
You can download the update here.
We upgraded to maya 2010 this week so I have recompiled my 2nd favourite plugin - Michael Comet's poseDeformer. This is the windows x64 version. (x86 coming soon)
I added it to poseDeformer.rar on the Downloads Page.
Update 2 Oct 2009: Added maya2010 win32 (x86) compile to the download.
I was rummaging around Hamish McKenzie's zooToolbox the other night and uncovered the intriguingly named zooAttrScroller.mel
I'd never noticed this one before so I opened it up in my favourite code editor, notepad++, to see what it did, and soon worked out that you use it to create a virtual slider in the viewport so that you can change selected attributes by dragging left or right with the mouse.
Yes, I know, you can already do that by selecting the attributes in the channel box and dragging in the viewport. So, whats the difference? (more...)
I've been doing a fair amount of rigging where I use joints and empty groups as controllers. I try to minimize the need for going to the outliner to select things by adding shapeNodes to these controllers so that they can be selected directly in the viewport.
To parent a shapeNode to a different transform you need to use the command
parent -r -shape;
but often you'll get the shape jumping to a new location when it adjusts to its new parent. If that happens you can select the cv's or verts and move them to where you want them, but if you are doing this alot it can get messy and becomes time consuming. And that was the motivation for writing djParentShape.mel
With djParentShape you select the new controller object, shift-select the joint and run the script. It has two modes of operation: move to position or preserve position so you simply choose the one you need.
Download from here.
Keep reading for details... (more...)
I have not done much testing, but it seems to be working ok on vista 64 with maya2008 sp1 64 bit.
Please test it properly yourself before committing to a production that relys on this plugin. If you encounter problems, feel free to comment here.
Download here. (Its near the bottom of the page)
Update: I've discovered you need to install .net framework 3.5 for this to work correctly.