spReticle modified and compiled for maya 2011-x64

david | dj mod,mel script | Thursday, August 26th, 2010

In preparation for upgrading to maya 2011, I'm recompiling plugins that I rely on. This one, called spReticle, required a small code fix to work with 2011.

spReticle is an open source offering from Sony Pictures Imageworks that gives you the ability to add customizable viewport overlays like gate masks and safe guides and much more.

You can get it from my downloads page.

Put the plugin (mll file) in your plugins folder and the mel files in your scripts folder. Use the plugin manager to load the plugin, then to create a reticle node use the following command:

spReticleLoc;

This will set up a reticle with a 16:9 transparent gate mask with 4:3 center-cut action/title safe lines, frame numbers in the top left corner, scene name top center. You can modify all these to you liking and add many variations using the attribute editor.

update: 9 April 2011: maya 2012-x64 version also available

update: added 2013-x64 version

update: added 2014-x64 version

1. I'm going to try it anyway, but I was just wondering if you knew if this will or will not work under maya mac OS X? Thanks!

Comment by fullyanimated — August 26, 2010 @ 9:58 am

2. No, because plugins must be compiled specifically for each os. However the source code is included in the rar file, so you could potentially do it yourself or find a friendly mac dude to do it for you.

Comment by david — August 26, 2010 @ 11:33 pm

3. Did you augment your source code from the Google code version?

I'm able to compile the 1.1 version just fine but when I try to load it in Maya 2011 I get a "initializePlugin function failed" message. I didn't change a line of the source code. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 so that may be an issue, but I haven't had any problems with loading any of my other VS 2005 plugins into 2011.

Which version of Visual Studio did you use?

Comment by mdfisher272 — September 4, 2010 @ 9:46 am

4. Found the problem. The hideLocator attr clashed with the Locator class. My compiled plugin works now.

Comment by mdfisher272 — September 4, 2010 @ 10:48 am

5. Yes that was the "small code fix" I referred to. If you compile any other versions or add features, and don't mind sharing, let me know so I can add a link to yours.

Comment by david — September 4, 2010 @ 11:29 am

6. I don't mind sharing source code. I haven't used the Reticle plugin all that much so I haven't discovered any added any customization I would need yet.

As for compiled code: I'm using VS 2005 to compile Maya2011 plugins. This is not recommended for Maya 2011. I would hesitate to offer any binaries to the public.

Comment by mdfisher272 — September 4, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

7. please compile this for maya2014.Thank you.

Comment by Nagavamsi — September 21, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

8. need spReticle for maya2014-x64.thank you.

Comment by Nagavamsi — September 21, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

9. I've updated the download to include the 2014-x64 version. Note this is now a 7zip archive (not a rar).

Comment by david — September 21, 2013 @ 5:44 pm

Can you provide a text file as what file in the zip file should be copied in what folder in maya!

I have tried so many things to the level that I think I have made a mess of my drive and yet I can't load the first line: [ loadPlugin "spReticleLoc.so"; ]

here's the error I get:
    // Error: line 1: Plug-in, "spReticleLoc.mll", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. //

Thank you.

Comment by Yasush — January 5, 2014 @ 8:15 am

11. For some reason it's all working well. Thank you for keeping thing organize and well explained.

Comment by Yasush — January 5, 2014 @ 8:28 am

12. Anyone having trouble w/ stereo cameras (Maya 2014), The aspect Ratio Mask is switching between the set color, and a bright RED by pulling the camera back away from the origin far enough. Once it reaches the distance threshold, it switches to the Bright Red color.

Unusable unfortunately.