I wrote these two scripts for a job I did recently where I needed an efficient way of dynamically assigning many different fileTextures to large numbers of objects.
By "dynamically assigning" I mean that the texture assignment needed to be animateable. Initially I thought of assembling my images into a numbered file sequence and manually keyframing the image number in the fileTexture attributes so each object would get the desired image at the desired time. But each object would need to be independent in terms of image timing and order and I could see the task of managing these image sequences would be difficult. To complicate matters further, some images were to be static while others were to be 25 fps sequences.