Since I don't get the time to update this blog much anymore, I thought I'd just drop in quickly to recommend a google groups mailing list that I have been contributing to for a while now. If you feel like some question/answer type discussions focused specifically on problem solving in maya this might be the place for you. There are a great bunch of knowledgeable people posting there already from time to time, but more will always be welcome. Just enter "maya he3d" in the google groups search.
Yesterday I wrote about my experiences with the OpenMaya modules for python in maya, and showed some code to get the closest vertex on a mesh from the position of a locator. Today I'm going to show the same code, rewritten to use the new Maya Python API 2.0, which, according to the intro in the manual, " is a new version of the Maya Python API which provides a more Pythonic workflow and improved performance." (more...)
Recently I was writing a python function where I needed to find the mesh vertex closest to a locator. I already knew how to get a list of vertices from my mesh, how to get their worldspace locations and how to iterate through them calculating the distance between each one and the locator to determine the closest. But the brute force approach would have been pretty slow on a dense mesh.
I'm not very familiar with the OpenMaya classes, but I was pretty sure one of them would have a method that would make this task much faster, so I began to google the problem.
Here is what I found... and what I had to do to get it to work. Advanced coders will probably find this trivial, but I'm guessing there are others like me that will find it interesting. (more...)
I added the 2014-x64 (windows) version of Michael Comet's poseDeformer to the downloads page.
I recently discovered a potential problem when using the poseDeformer in maya 2013 and 2014. The problem occurs due to changes brought about by the introduction of the node editor in maya. I've modified the poseDeformer code to work around the problem, but for any one who is interested, I'll describe it in more detail below.
A few people have asked me if there is a way to use my uv layout script, djPFXUVs, on a paint FX mesh that is animating. The answer is "yes". Keep reading if you are interested in knowing how...
While browsing the interwebs recently, I noticed that for $20, you can buy something called "universal uv randomization script" on creativecash. Seeing this made me realize I should give my scripts way cooler names from now on. So get in quick and grab a copy of djPFXUVs, while it's still free. Soon it will be simply called "XP€N$IV $H1T".
A while back I posted a script called djPFXUVs that could be used to quickly re-layout uv's for paintFX leafs to help with the task of building and assigning more interesting textures. Today I thought I'd share an updated version of that script, which as you can see here, even has a UI.
I've updated the downloads page to include maya 2013 versions of the following:
spReticle plugin by Sony Pictures that gives you the ability to add customizable viewport overlays like gate masks and safe guides and much more.
showEditor.mel modification to enable the notes tab to be toggled on and off
hyperShadePanel.mel modification to enable thumbnail updates to be toggled on and off, and to fix a bug where the create tab sometimes covers most of the window.
I've recompiled the poseDeformer and poseReader for maya 2013-x64 (windows). I've only tested it very briefly. Let me know if you discover problems.
If you are looking for other flavors, then keep checking back. Usually someone ends up sending me their compiles and if they do I'll add it to the download and leave a note here.
25 May 2013: 2013-x32 (windows) compile added, thanks to Scott Englert
A while back I did a mod for the hypershade window to add a button for toggling the updating of the thumbnails. Turning off updates can improve performance when you are modifying complex shader networks. I've just added a version for maya 2012. The hyperShadePanel.rar on the downloads page now contains 2 new hyperShadePanel.mel versions - for 2011 & 2012 mel script (put the one you need in your local scripts folder) and 2 new bitmaps in the png format (put both of these in your local icons folder).
update: added 2011 version to the rar file, as well as fixing a small autodesk created bug in the 2012 version where the width of the create tab always took up half the window when first opened (bug fix thanks to Ingo Clemens). If you downloaded in the last last 24 hours you may want to get this update.
update 2: Added improved thumbnailUpdatesGreyed.png icon for the button disabled state - created by Mike Smith-Kennard (thanks MSK)
update: added 2013 version